What Can You Expect to Find in This Book?
You can expect to receive the same kind of helpful information that many worship leaders, artists, musicians, Christians, pastors, and worshippers have eagerly embraced in my seminars over the years, across many different cultures and countries:
- an in-depth study of the meaning of the words “psalms,”“hymns,” and “spiritual songs” (chapters 2 & 3).
- a glimpse of early church practice
- a theological and cultural context for the singing of psalms, hymns, and spiri- tual songs (chapters 3 through 5).
- an explanation of the relevancy of psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to many aspects of life (chapters 3 through 5).
- two personal stories that will show the relevancy of this study to my own life and thereby provide at least one example of application (chapters 1 & 6).
- a good balance of exegesis and application. The main part of the exegesis is found in chapters 2 & 3. It is an exegesis of Colossians 3:15–17 and Ephesians 5:15–21. Chapters 7 & 8 focus on practical application to ministry or personal worship and spiritual growth.
- a study guide. Questions at the end of each chapter are suitable for personal study or group discussion with worship teams, artists, choirs, home Bible study groups, Sunday school classes, retreats, elder boards, and any other group in which people would like to engage with and apply the ideas emanating from Paul’s incredible vision of holistic worship.